Course Title: Management
Course Code: UU-MAN-2306-UG
Programme: Bachelor of Science in Business, Accounting and Financial Management - BL
The module exposes students to the practice of management, i.e. initiating, planning, executing, controlling, and closing the work of a team to achieve specific goals and meet specific success criteria at the specified time.
The main objectives of the course are:
- To introduce students to the basic concepts and functions of management including a range of important management processes, which can be used to support the main management functions
- To help students understand the nature of the external business environment and its effect on the organization
- To provide students with an understanding of the systemic nature of organizations
- To guide students, in appreciating the importance of human resources in management in addition to the importance of team work in management and become effective team players
- To familiarize students with decision making tools and develop their analytical skills. To develop students’ critical thinking and their ability to develop an argument and to defend a position. To encourage students to use these tools and abilities to engage in debates on management issues, including controversial management topics.
Course/Module Learning Outcomes:
After completion of the course students are expected to be able:
- To discuss the importance of management both as an occupation and as a universal human activity and be able to view organizations as complex human activity systems
- To discuss and apply the basic management functions of planning, organizing, leading and controlling, as well as to discuss and apply the main management processes. In addition, to be able to carry out independent research using a variety of resources
- To demonstrate how good management can help organizations become effective and efficient and to participate in debates on controversial management issues
- To critically discuss the importance of the external business environment and its effect on the organization
- To evaluate the importance of human resources in management and to be able to discuss the importance of team work.
Prerequisites Categories: Year 1
Typical Module duration: 7.1