ProgrammesModule: Economics in Health Care Management Industry
Course Title: Economics in Health Care Management Industry
Course Code: UU-ECO-3025-UG
Programme: Bachelor of Arts in Healthcare Management - BL
This course/module provides an analytical framework for understanding the functioning of markets through an analysis of economics in health care management industry. The module examines aspects such as trade and exchange, demand, supply and price determination in health care management industry. An examination of market failure and the justification and nature of government intervention in in health care management industry is also describing the module. Finally this module discusses the economics of health care organizations in different types of market structures (competition, monopoly, and oligopoly), and strategic interaction between economic agents (elementary game theory).
The main objectives of the course are:
- To provide students with a thorough grounding in the basic principles of economics and exposure to a range of applications of the theory in health care management industry
- To introduce students to macroeconomic economic theory and policy in health care management industry
- To provide the generic theoretical concepts required for a critical analysis of real world economic issues in health care management industry.
Course/Module Learning Outcomes:
After completion of the course students are expected to be able to:
- To explain any basic problem in economics using diagrams i.e. Equilibrium point in health care management organizations
- To identify, present and explain standard theoretical economic models and apply them to analyses of economic questions and policy issues in health care management industry
- To demonstrate comprehensive and detailed knowledge and understanding of main topics in micro and macro-economic theories
- To present elementary models and theories describing economic processes in a market economy in health care management industry
- To discuss and assess the role of the government and financial institutions in the economy where health care organizations are operating.
Prerequisites Categories: Year 1, Year 2
Typical Module duration: 4.0