Intercultural Communication Module Details
Course Title: Intercultural Communication
Course Code: UU-HOM-3001-UG
This course focuses on the skills and techniques needed in intercultural communication as it introduces the concept of culture and the identification of cultural diversity and similarities among international tourist markets. Focus is also on the importance of intercultural communication and the relationship between tourism and culture.
The main objectives of the course are:
- To enable students to be familiarized with the core intercultural communication competencies necessary to deliver exceptional service in the hospitality industry
- To assess their individual cross-cultural knowledge and skill and learn techniques for recognizing and accommodating for cultural differences in communication styles
- To enable learners to develop the following skills: cultural self-awareness, an appreciation of cultural difference, a facility to interpret actions in many ways in order to facilitate cultural understanding, an understanding of different theories of intercultural communication
- To explore the essential aspects of selected world cultures and a facility in the special intercultural skills required in tourism.
Course/Module Learning Outcomes:
After completion of the course students are expected to be able:
- To understand and overcome stereotypes in communication through increased self-awareness and awareness of the aspects of culture
- To recognize and adapt to cultural differences in verbal communication
- To recognize and adapt to cultural differences in non-verbal communication
- To develop an action plan to improve their cross cultural awareness and communication in service of guests
- To examine the impact of tourism on culture.
Prerequisites Categories: Year 1
Typical Module duration: 4.0 Week(s)